- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Little Big Band CD release party Nov. 27
From press release
The Little Big Band (the little band with the big sound), a seven-piece jazz band based in Rockford, has announced the release of Blue Moon, the band’s much-anticipated first album.
The Little Big Band offers some of the best big band, swing and jazz music in the area. The band swings its way through arrangements from the standard jazz fare of the ’50s and ’60s up through more contemporary selections from the ’80s and ’90s.
The band has been together since 1997, and was originally a five-piece group. The original members were all from Rockford, where they could be seen on Thursday evenings at Mary’s Market. The band has since been enlarged to include two more horns and a much bigger sound.
The CD features arrangements by Cary Sheley (trombone, vocals), including a brand-new arrangement on the title track, “Blue Moon,” in a Latin feel. Sheley is joined by Ken Stein on tenor sax; Randy Schneeberger on trumpet, fluegel horn and vocals; Ken Kilian on alto and bari saxes; Tom Stein on keyboards; Guy Fiorenza on bass; and Dave Sterner on drums. The band features vocals by Michelle Duvall of Edgerton, Wis., and Diane Lewis of Fontana, Wis.
The band is celebrating the release with a party, open to the public, at Alvarez Mexican Restaurant, 1600 Bell School Road, Cherry Valley, Ill. The band will perform two sets starting at 2 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 27. Food, refreshments and giveaways will be provided.
For more information, contact Cary Sheley at (815) 398-2848 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue