- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
Norman, Pretzels look to push the pace
By Matt Nestor
The Pretzels used size and strength last year to be the only team to top the Boylan Titans in the conference last season.
If the Pretzels hope to stay among the top teams, they will rely on speed and shooting this year.
“We are a very small team,” Freeport Head Coach Jeff Zick said. “We could have difficulties matching up with great big men and rebounding.”
But while size is missing, the Pretzels may have the best backcourt in the conference.
Point guard Luke Norman will be among the best the conference has to offer. After a strong season as a sophomore, coaches around the conference are expecting big things from the junior.
He will also be helped by seniors Al Simmons and Brenden Wall, as well as juniors Macus Van Brocklin and Demonte Davis, who helped anchor one of the top sophomore teams in the area last year.
“Our point guard, Luke Norman, will be one of the best players in the conference,” Zick said. “He will have some shooters around him as well. We are extremely deep at the guard position.”
The Pretzels do return one starter in the front court in senior forward Max Hoefer. He will be aided by senior Dejuan Curry, juniors Evan Schrader and Devin Best, as well as sophomore Quavion Scott.
While they will be undersized down low, Zick thinks the Pretzels have enough athleticism to offset those differences through their quick play.
“We are going to look to push the tempo and take advantage of good guard play and undersized, but athletic, posts,” he said. “We will also need to compete on the boards to be competitive.”
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue