- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
To the Editor: Save Land and Water Conservation Fund!
Many public lands and waters are threatened by development both within and outside their boundaries. The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) protects these places, improving fish and wildlife habitat while giving all Americans better access to hiking, camping, fishing and hunting opportunities. Full funding of the LWCF will ensure that National Parks, Forests, National Wildlife Refuges and National Monuments are well protected for our children and grandchildren.
Over the years, Congress has reallocated $17 billion from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. Now is the time for the Senate to fix this injustice and fulfill the promise of LWCF by passing legislation to ensure full and permanent funding of $900 million each year. Go to https://secure.wilderness.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2189
More information is here: http://lwcfcoalition.org
The Wilderness Society
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue