- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
To the Editor: Save Land and Water Conservation Fund!
Many public lands and waters are threatened by development both within and outside their boundaries. The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) protects these places, improving fish and wildlife habitat while giving all Americans better access to hiking, camping, fishing and hunting opportunities. Full funding of the LWCF will ensure that National Parks, Forests, National Wildlife Refuges and National Monuments are well protected for our children and grandchildren.
Over the years, Congress has reallocated $17 billion from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. Now is the time for the Senate to fix this injustice and fulfill the promise of LWCF by passing legislation to ensure full and permanent funding of $900 million each year. Go to https://secure.wilderness.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2189
More information is here: http://lwcfcoalition.org
The Wilderness Society
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue