- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
To the Editor: Save Land and Water Conservation Fund!
Many public lands and waters are threatened by development both within and outside their boundaries. The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) protects these places, improving fish and wildlife habitat while giving all Americans better access to hiking, camping, fishing and hunting opportunities. Full funding of the LWCF will ensure that National Parks, Forests, National Wildlife Refuges and National Monuments are well protected for our children and grandchildren.
Over the years, Congress has reallocated $17 billion from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. Now is the time for the Senate to fix this injustice and fulfill the promise of LWCF by passing legislation to ensure full and permanent funding of $900 million each year. Go to https://secure.wilderness.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2189
More information is here: http://lwcfcoalition.org
The Wilderness Society
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue