- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
Guest Column: Lame duck likely to bring amnesty
By E.J. Pagel
Democrats in Congress will now use hook, crook, blackmail and bribery in a desperate last-ditch attempt to pass the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act (DREAM Act) before the new group of Republican legislators are sworn in for the next session. U.S. Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) have been pushing the DREAM Act amnesty long before the beginning of the name duck session.
After a closed-door meeting with only pro-amnesty congressmen, the White House announced Obama’s desire to pass the highly controversial bill. Unsurprisingly, this flies in the face of his State of the Union speech rhetoric about “securing the border” and “enforcing the law.”
Here in Illinois, on Nov. 12 State Rep. Bill Mitchell called for a repeal of the All-Kids insurance program, costing $55 million per year. A recent audit shows the majority of its recipients are undocumented immigrants. Meanwhile, the Department of Aging (benefits for seniors) has been CUT $255 million in the last two years. This is further validation of what we Minutemen have been complaining about since the early days of Blago. Democrats rolled their eyes and pooh-poohed us. Calls to the Governor’s office have always been and continue to be ignored.
Several years ago, according to the report by fairus.org, Illinois taxpayers were spending $3.5 billion per year on illegal aliens’ education, incarceration, and non-emergency medical care. That figure is now up to $4.6 billion per year! So, this entire time we’ve been complaining that tax dollars are going to illegals, depriving seniors and veterans—they’ve been gleefully accelerating the spending! They’ve been spitting on us who are forced to fund their folly.
Governor Quinn is demanding tax increases, asserting he has a mandate, when he received less than half the vote and only carried three counties. Republicans still have some within the party who oppose illegal immigration, but they haven’t joined with the citizens to unequivocally make the Democrats defend and justify these policies. Whether driven by left-wing ideology or maybe just a simple misunderstanding of economics, Democrats obviously intend to roll out more red carpet for illegal aliens, then borrow and raise taxes to pay for it! That should prove to the hard-working, taxpaying American citizen Democrats that your party has betrayed you.
$4.6 billion not being spent on illegal aliens would help toward eliminating the $13 billion yearly deficit in Illinois’ budget. It should also be noted that National Taxpayers United of Illinois has a three-point plan to reform our bloated pension system that could save $10 billion per year, but that is merely laughed at by Democrat politicians, who are owned by teachers and public employees’ unions.
From the Dec. 8-14, 2010 issue