- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Roy Gayle Players repeat as fall Pony League champs
From press release
The No. 2 seed Roy Gayle Players advanced to the championship game by defeating Genoa Kingston1 in game one and Bellwood Animal Hospital in game two of the playoffs for the Belvidere Youth Baseball’s Fall Pony League.
Home runs from Roy Gayle’s Dylan Power, Joey Wilson, Alex Walker and Kyle Zoet, as well as smart base running, all contributed to Coach Rick Westendorf’s offensive game plan.
In the championship game, Roy Gayle jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the first inning against the No. 1 seed and undefeated Rockford Boys and Girls Club team. However, the Boys and Girls Club held Roy Gayle scoreless for the next six innings, and battled back to tie the game, sending it into extra innings.
Roy Gayle’s bats came alive in the top of the eighth inning, scoring 7 more runs. The Boys and Girls Club threatened in their last at-bat, with two outs and two men on, when a long fly ball was chased down by Roy Gayle’s speedy right fielder Jamie Button, making a spectacular catch at the fence saving a 3-run homer and securing the championship win for the Roy Gayle Players for the second year in a row.
From the Dec. 8-14, 2010 issue