- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
Roy Gayle Players repeat as fall Pony League champs
From press release
The No. 2 seed Roy Gayle Players advanced to the championship game by defeating Genoa Kingston1 in game one and Bellwood Animal Hospital in game two of the playoffs for the Belvidere Youth Baseball’s Fall Pony League.
Home runs from Roy Gayle’s Dylan Power, Joey Wilson, Alex Walker and Kyle Zoet, as well as smart base running, all contributed to Coach Rick Westendorf’s offensive game plan.
In the championship game, Roy Gayle jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the first inning against the No. 1 seed and undefeated Rockford Boys and Girls Club team. However, the Boys and Girls Club held Roy Gayle scoreless for the next six innings, and battled back to tie the game, sending it into extra innings.
Roy Gayle’s bats came alive in the top of the eighth inning, scoring 7 more runs. The Boys and Girls Club threatened in their last at-bat, with two outs and two men on, when a long fly ball was chased down by Roy Gayle’s speedy right fielder Jamie Button, making a spectacular catch at the fence saving a 3-run homer and securing the championship win for the Roy Gayle Players for the second year in a row.
From the Dec. 8-14, 2010 issue