- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Roy Gayle Players repeat as fall Pony League champs
From press release
The No. 2 seed Roy Gayle Players advanced to the championship game by defeating Genoa Kingston1 in game one and Bellwood Animal Hospital in game two of the playoffs for the Belvidere Youth Baseball’s Fall Pony League.
Home runs from Roy Gayle’s Dylan Power, Joey Wilson, Alex Walker and Kyle Zoet, as well as smart base running, all contributed to Coach Rick Westendorf’s offensive game plan.
In the championship game, Roy Gayle jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the first inning against the No. 1 seed and undefeated Rockford Boys and Girls Club team. However, the Boys and Girls Club held Roy Gayle scoreless for the next six innings, and battled back to tie the game, sending it into extra innings.
Roy Gayle’s bats came alive in the top of the eighth inning, scoring 7 more runs. The Boys and Girls Club threatened in their last at-bat, with two outs and two men on, when a long fly ball was chased down by Roy Gayle’s speedy right fielder Jamie Button, making a spectacular catch at the fence saving a 3-run homer and securing the championship win for the Roy Gayle Players for the second year in a row.
From the Dec. 8-14, 2010 issue