- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Roy Gayle Players repeat as fall Pony League champs
From press release
The No. 2 seed Roy Gayle Players advanced to the championship game by defeating Genoa Kingston1 in game one and Bellwood Animal Hospital in game two of the playoffs for the Belvidere Youth Baseball’s Fall Pony League.
Home runs from Roy Gayle’s Dylan Power, Joey Wilson, Alex Walker and Kyle Zoet, as well as smart base running, all contributed to Coach Rick Westendorf’s offensive game plan.
In the championship game, Roy Gayle jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the first inning against the No. 1 seed and undefeated Rockford Boys and Girls Club team. However, the Boys and Girls Club held Roy Gayle scoreless for the next six innings, and battled back to tie the game, sending it into extra innings.
Roy Gayle’s bats came alive in the top of the eighth inning, scoring 7 more runs. The Boys and Girls Club threatened in their last at-bat, with two outs and two men on, when a long fly ball was chased down by Roy Gayle’s speedy right fielder Jamie Button, making a spectacular catch at the fence saving a 3-run homer and securing the championship win for the Roy Gayle Players for the second year in a row.
From the Dec. 8-14, 2010 issue