- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
To the Editor: Give the criminal a break!
I want to appeal to the good citizens of Rockford and Illinois to vote for absolute gun control. I work in home burglaries, convenience store stick ups, an occasional rape, and strong-arm robberies. Things are tough enough without me having to worry about citizens being armed when I accost them at home or on the street.
Why should I have to be concerned that I might get shot and killed, just for doing my job of robbing and pillaging? I say eliminate all guns from the hands of private citizens. I’m a professional, and I break the law for a living, so it won’t have any effect on me.
You might say having citizens armed, especially with concealed weapons, constitutes a hostile work environment. How am I to know who is an easy mark and who isn’t? How on earth can anyone think that’s fair?
As a case in point, England, Australia, Washington, D.C., and Chicago have all banned guns. See how much crime rates have risen in those places since then? Much better.
This message is sponsored by: National Criminals Guild, United Auto Theft Workers, Association of Violent Offenders, Serial Killers Anonymous, National Kidnappers Collective, and other similar, upstanding organizations nationwide.
From the Dec. 8-14, 2010 issue