- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
To the Editor: Time for sacrifice
President Barack Obama’s debt reduction committee has just completed their recommendations for restoring solvency and saving this great nation from financial ruin. The truth is that our country has been living far beyond its means for far too many years. We have financed our lifestyle with a $13 trillion unsustainable debt. Thirty-seven cents of every dollar is spent for interest on this debt. Our entire military operation could be financed with the interest.
Yet, almost before the ink was dry, we heard cries from the left and right that the recommendations are totally unacceptable. The cries of “not me” are coming from all directions. Over the years, we have learned that “political expediency” is not compatable with “common sense.” It is time to put political advantage aside in favor of what we know in our hearts is right.
I won’t like giving up a part of my lifestyle; however, I can adjust, and if it creates a better future for my children and grandchildren, I would do it in a minute. Every American must step up to the plate, share in the pain and make the sacrifice that will return our nation to greatness.
From the Dec. 8-14, 2010 issue