- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
To the Editor: Save honors classes in Rockford schools
“Excellence Everywhere” is said to be the commitment. What about our schools?
As parents, students, teachers, business owners and taxpayers, we are dismayed at the decision to eliminate honors courses from Rockford schools without notice to, or input from, the Board of Education, educators, parents and community members.
We understand it is the right of every student to have access to a rigorous curriculum that is designed to challenge their minds, enhance their knowledge and skills, and prepare them for success in college and work.
We respectfully request the Board of Education to reject this decision and insist on a 2011-2012 high school course selection that includes, at a minimum, the honors courses offered in the 2010-2011 school year.
Please sign this petition online to not let this slip through our fingers! Our kids need the chance to achieve, to excel…not to be lumped in with everyone else. We need to provide outlets for our children who wish to do more!
From the Dec. 15-21, 2010 issue