- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Guest Column: Tea Party group rejects tax rate deal
By Jane Carrell and Bill Dietz
While the President’s deal with Republicans extending current tax rates for two years may have seemed a victory for the Tea Party, the Georgia-based Tea Party Patriots, which counts more than 2,000 member groups nationally, has summarily rejected the bargain.
In an e-mail to its members at noon Dec. 9, Tea Party Patriots gave the reasons why the deal was unacceptable. They referred members to an editorial, “Kill ‘The Deal,’” by Hugh Hewitt at Townhall.com.
1. The deal was forged in secret, and even now is not in writing.
2. The deal revives the “vampire” death tax. Even with a $5 million exemption, with the expected future inflation, the tax will affect thousands more families. The death tax, at base, is immoral.
3. The deal spends billions and billions of dollars that the country does not have in order to prevent a tax hike that the country voted against. There is at least $75 million in new spending in the plan.
4. The deal breaches at least five promises in the Pledge to America announced by the Republican leadership Sept. 23.
→ “Permanently Stop All Job-Killing Tax Hikes” (p. 16)
→ “Act immediately to Reduce Spending” (p. 21)
→ “Cut Government Spending to Pre-Stimulus, Pre-Bailout Levels” (p. 21)
→ “Read the Bill” (p. 33)
→ “Advance Legislative Issues One at a Time” (p. 33)
The idea that this massive tax and spend bill has not even been written but may be voted on by the Senate this weekend is appalling, and has rightfully drawn the anger of the TeaPartyPatriots.org and other Tea Party activists, an anger that will not diminish.
For more information, see the Northern IL Tea Party website www.TeaParty-nil.com. Northern IL Tea Party serves the stateline area of Rockton, Roscoe and South Beloit.
There are nine Tea Parties in a 50-mile radius of Rockford, affiliated with illinoistea.org.
Jane Carrell is affiliated with Northern IL Tea Party, and Bill Dietz is affiliated with Stephenson County Tea Party.
From the Dec. 29-Jan. 4, 2011 issue