By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Call for writers:
What has formed your image(s) of yourself as the woman you are…or are meant to be? What has transformed your life as a woman growing into your own power and wholeness…as a woman giving birth to your own soul?
Womanspace Center of Rockford—a not-for-profit organization focused on the core values of connecting, empowering, creating and transforming—is currently seeking submissions for an anthology of women’s poetry and non-fiction to be published in the spring of 2011.
Submissions should relate to one or both of the central questions listed above, with a focus on growth and/or change inspired through experiences of the body, mind, heart or spirit. Relevant experiences might include, but are not limited to: body-centered experiences unique to women (i.e., menarche, menopause, pregnancy, childbirth); sexuality, illness, aging; the influence(s) of culture, ethnicity, religion; relationships (friendship, marriage/partnership, parenting, mentoring); work/career; insight from a book, some other art form, or your own creativity/creative expression; travel; experiences in or of the natural world; and/or rites of passage (coming of age, milestones, death, other forms of loss).
1) Submitting authors must be women, who are at least 18 years of age. A diversity of ages, backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints is sought.
2) Submissions must be new work, not previously published.
3) Submissions of non-fiction may represent diverse genres (i.e., essay, journaling), with a limit of two pages, double-spaced. Length of poetry is at the poet’s discretion.
4) Each writer is limited to five submissions (which may be divided between the two categories).
5) Submissions will be accepted via U.S. mail to Womanspace, ATTN: Red Tent Anthology, 3333 Maria Linden Drive, Rockford, IL 61114-5481 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Red Tent Anthology” as the subject line.
Writers should include a brief biographical statement as well as contact information (mailing address, e-mail address, phone number).
If submitting by U.S. mail, include a self-addressed stamped envelope with postage sufficient to return submissions, plus letter of response.
6) There is no entry fee.
7) Writers whose work is chosen for publication will be notified individually. In addition, the list of chosen writers will appear on the Womanspace website by June 1, 2011: http://www.womanspace-rockford.org.
8) Writers whose work is chosen will receive one free copy of the anthology (plus a 50 percent discount on additional copies) and will be invited to read their work at a public reading at Womanspace, to be scheduled some time during the “Rent Tent event” June 21-26, 2011. (Red Tent is a gathering of women of diverse ages and backgrounds, celebrating their uniqueness. For more information about the Red Tent concept, go to http://www.redtentwomensproject.org.)
9) Submissions will be accepted between Jan. 1 and March 1, 2011; they will be read as they come in.
Christine Swanberg is a local author.
From the Dec. 29-Jan. 4, 2011 issue