- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Symphony announces annual student concerto competition
From press release
Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO) has announced the RSO/Rock Valley College Concerto Competition scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011.
The competition offers the opportunity for regional music students to compete for three cash awards. The first-prize winner is also invited to perform his or her competition piece with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra (RSYO) in the RSYO Spring Concert May 1, 2011.
The annual competition is open to students ages 13-21 living within a 50-mile radius of Rockford, and will be held on the campus of Rock Valley College, 3301 N. Mulford Road, Rockford. This season’s competition application deadline is Jan. 7, 2011.
Students prepare one movement from a concerto to perform for the competition judges. A list of past winners is available on the RSO’s website.
For more information about the competition and a downloadable application, visit www.rockfordsymphony.com/rsyo or call (815) 965-0049.
From the Dec. 29-Jan. 4, 2011 issue