- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
Symphony announces annual student concerto competition
From press release
Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO) has announced the RSO/Rock Valley College Concerto Competition scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011.
The competition offers the opportunity for regional music students to compete for three cash awards. The first-prize winner is also invited to perform his or her competition piece with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra (RSYO) in the RSYO Spring Concert May 1, 2011.
The annual competition is open to students ages 13-21 living within a 50-mile radius of Rockford, and will be held on the campus of Rock Valley College, 3301 N. Mulford Road, Rockford. This season’s competition application deadline is Jan. 7, 2011.
Students prepare one movement from a concerto to perform for the competition judges. A list of past winners is available on the RSO’s website.
For more information about the competition and a downloadable application, visit www.rockfordsymphony.com/rsyo or call (815) 965-0049.
From the Dec. 29-Jan. 4, 2011 issue