- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Symphony announces annual student concerto competition
From press release
Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO) has announced the RSO/Rock Valley College Concerto Competition scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011.
The competition offers the opportunity for regional music students to compete for three cash awards. The first-prize winner is also invited to perform his or her competition piece with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra (RSYO) in the RSYO Spring Concert May 1, 2011.
The annual competition is open to students ages 13-21 living within a 50-mile radius of Rockford, and will be held on the campus of Rock Valley College, 3301 N. Mulford Road, Rockford. This season’s competition application deadline is Jan. 7, 2011.
Students prepare one movement from a concerto to perform for the competition judges. A list of past winners is available on the RSO’s website.
For more information about the competition and a downloadable application, visit www.rockfordsymphony.com/rsyo or call (815) 965-0049.
From the Dec. 29-Jan. 4, 2011 issue