- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
National looping champ Stendek to play at Kryptonite Friday, Jan. 7
By Jim Hagerty
The looping artist known nationally as Stendek will be at Kryptonite Friday, Jan.7. The show is part of downtown Rockford’s First Friday event.
Born Philip Stendek, Stendek is known nationally for live looping in his one-man show. While looping is typically done by DJs and hip-hop artists, Stendek offers an original twist to the art and layers guitar, bass, keyboards and drums to create a hybrid pop/acoustic folk and reggae sound.
Based in Missouri, Stendek plays hundreds of shows each year and won the BOSS Loop Station World Championship looping contest last year.
Chicago’s Good Bye Home will also be at Kryptonite Friday. Tickets are $5.
First Friday events happen the first Friday of each month, with happenings at several downtown venues. This Friday, live music, visual art and comedy will be featured at 11 establishments.
Kryptonite is at 308 W. State St. The club can be reached at (815) 965-0931. More about Stendek is at reverbnation.com/stendek.
From the Jan. 5-11, 2011 issue