- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
No. 23 Illini men’s basketball team looks to build on 12-3 start
By Doug Halberstadt
The Fighting Illini men’s basketball team will be looking to stay perfect in the Big 10 conference when they host the Northwestern Wildcats at Assembly Hall tomorrow night (Thursday, Jan. 6). The Illini are off to a 2-0 start in the conference following a 10-point win (77-67) over Iowa Dec. 29 and an 8-point win (69-61) against Wisconsin last Sunday, Jan. 2.
Illinois is 12-3 overall so far this season and is currently ranked 23rd in the Associated Press poll. The Illini have now been ranked in all eight polls this season, the longest streak for the program since appearing in the AP Top 25 for 42 consecutive weeks from Feb. 24, 2004, through March 14, 2006.
The team is led by a balanced attack on offense. In the Iowa game, they had five players in double figures. Demetri McCamey scored 21 points, and Mike Davis and Bill Cole both added 11 in the win against the Badgers.
Following tomorrow night’s game, the Illini will be off until Jan. 11 when they travel to Penn State to take on the Nittany Lions. They will have a rematch with the Badgers Saturday, Jan. 15, in Madison, Wis.
From the Jan. 5-11, 2011 issue