- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
No. 23 Illini men’s basketball team looks to build on 12-3 start
By Doug Halberstadt
The Fighting Illini men’s basketball team will be looking to stay perfect in the Big 10 conference when they host the Northwestern Wildcats at Assembly Hall tomorrow night (Thursday, Jan. 6). The Illini are off to a 2-0 start in the conference following a 10-point win (77-67) over Iowa Dec. 29 and an 8-point win (69-61) against Wisconsin last Sunday, Jan. 2.
Illinois is 12-3 overall so far this season and is currently ranked 23rd in the Associated Press poll. The Illini have now been ranked in all eight polls this season, the longest streak for the program since appearing in the AP Top 25 for 42 consecutive weeks from Feb. 24, 2004, through March 14, 2006.
The team is led by a balanced attack on offense. In the Iowa game, they had five players in double figures. Demetri McCamey scored 21 points, and Mike Davis and Bill Cole both added 11 in the win against the Badgers.
Following tomorrow night’s game, the Illini will be off until Jan. 11 when they travel to Penn State to take on the Nittany Lions. They will have a rematch with the Badgers Saturday, Jan. 15, in Madison, Wis.
From the Jan. 5-11, 2011 issue