- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
No. 23 Illini men’s basketball team looks to build on 12-3 start
By Doug Halberstadt
The Fighting Illini men’s basketball team will be looking to stay perfect in the Big 10 conference when they host the Northwestern Wildcats at Assembly Hall tomorrow night (Thursday, Jan. 6). The Illini are off to a 2-0 start in the conference following a 10-point win (77-67) over Iowa Dec. 29 and an 8-point win (69-61) against Wisconsin last Sunday, Jan. 2.
Illinois is 12-3 overall so far this season and is currently ranked 23rd in the Associated Press poll. The Illini have now been ranked in all eight polls this season, the longest streak for the program since appearing in the AP Top 25 for 42 consecutive weeks from Feb. 24, 2004, through March 14, 2006.
The team is led by a balanced attack on offense. In the Iowa game, they had five players in double figures. Demetri McCamey scored 21 points, and Mike Davis and Bill Cole both added 11 in the win against the Badgers.
Following tomorrow night’s game, the Illini will be off until Jan. 11 when they travel to Penn State to take on the Nittany Lions. They will have a rematch with the Badgers Saturday, Jan. 15, in Madison, Wis.
From the Jan. 5-11, 2011 issue