- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
No. 23 Illini men’s basketball team looks to build on 12-3 start
By Doug Halberstadt
The Fighting Illini men’s basketball team will be looking to stay perfect in the Big 10 conference when they host the Northwestern Wildcats at Assembly Hall tomorrow night (Thursday, Jan. 6). The Illini are off to a 2-0 start in the conference following a 10-point win (77-67) over Iowa Dec. 29 and an 8-point win (69-61) against Wisconsin last Sunday, Jan. 2.
Illinois is 12-3 overall so far this season and is currently ranked 23rd in the Associated Press poll. The Illini have now been ranked in all eight polls this season, the longest streak for the program since appearing in the AP Top 25 for 42 consecutive weeks from Feb. 24, 2004, through March 14, 2006.
The team is led by a balanced attack on offense. In the Iowa game, they had five players in double figures. Demetri McCamey scored 21 points, and Mike Davis and Bill Cole both added 11 in the win against the Badgers.
Following tomorrow night’s game, the Illini will be off until Jan. 11 when they travel to Penn State to take on the Nittany Lions. They will have a rematch with the Badgers Saturday, Jan. 15, in Madison, Wis.
From the Jan. 5-11, 2011 issue