- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Soil and Water Conservation District offers photo, poster contests
From press release
The Winnebago County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) is accepting entries for photo and poster contests.
For the photo contest, a maximum of two photos may be submitted by each participating individual and must fit into one of the following categories: conservation practices, close-up conservation, conservation in action, and agriculture and conservation across America. Photos will be judged in the following divisions: grades 5-8, 9-12 and adult amateurs.
The poster contest is an opportunity for all kindergarten through sixth-grade students in Winnebago County to express what they know about the natural resources of Illinois. This year’s theme is “Forests for People: More than you can imagine!”
The SWCD wants to connect people to the forest, whether they have one in their back yard, in a nearby park or no forests at all. We all have a connection to trees for providing us with our homes, furniture and even the clean air we all breathe!
The photos and posters will be on display at the Winnebago County Soil and Water Conservation District’s Annual Meeting at Klehm Arboretum Friday, Jan. 28, where division winners will be recognized.
For complete rules and details, visit the SWCD website at winnebagoswcd.org. To obtain a hard copy of contest rules, visit the SWCD Office at 4833 Owen Center Road, Rockford; open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The office can be reached at (815) 965-2392, ext. 3.
From the Jan. 12-18, 2011 issue