- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
AARP tax assistance being offered at Lifescape Community Services
From press release
Lifescape will again be offering tax filing assistance to seniors 60 and older, thanks to the volunteerism of AARP tax preparers. Appointments can be made by calling Lifescape at (815) 963-1609. All appointments will be held at Lifescape Community Services, 715 Kilburn Ave., Rockford, Ill.
Among other things, the tax preparers will be able to help seniors with the Credit for the Elderly or Disabled. To receive this credit, seniors must be using either Form 1040 or Form 1040A. It’s important to apply for this credit if you qualify.
Seniors are able to take this credit if:
→ They and/or their spouse are 65 or older
→ They are under 65 and are permanently and totally disabled
Their income is—$20,000 married filing jointly, and one qualifies; $20,000 married filing jointly, and both qualify; $12,500 married filing separately and lived apart for the entire year.
There are other financial qualifications. If you have questions or wish to make an appointment, call Lifescape Community Services at (815) 963-1609. Appointments begin Feb. 8.