- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Get carried away to the Caribbean at Discovery Center Jan. 30
From press release
Dig out that beach attire and get carried away to the Caribbean as Discovery Center Museum gets tropical from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 30.
Wear your loudest shirt and put a flower behind your ear. Take in the flora, fauna, geography, music, culture and cuisine of these paradise islands. Witness a volcanic eruption, romp through a simulated lava pit, and get your hands on real volcanic rocks. Create a reef environment, hunt for seashells in the tidepool, island, hop on a giant Caribbean map, and more. Meet shark diver Thomas Sergent and check out scuba equipment as he shares his underwater photos.
Cost of the event is included with admission to Discovery Center—$7 for adults, $7 for children ages 2-17 and free to children younger than 2 and museum members.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, and noon-5 p.m., Sunday. Call (815) 963-6769 or visit discoverycentermuseum.org.