- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
Park District announces Illinois Snow Sculpting Competition results
From press release
The team of Randy Tackett, Bill Brown and George Harnish won the 25th Annual Illinois Snow Sculpting Competition with their sculpture of “Catfish Dinner.” The winning team was honored at the competition’s awards ceremony on Saturday, Jan. 22, at Sinnissippi Park in Rockford. Nine state teams, 14 high school teams and one exhibition team (last year’s winning team) participated in the Jan. 19-22, 2011 event.
Other awards included:
→ Second Place—Mayor’s Award (tie): “Astrapaios,” sculpted by Sven, Bjorn and Thorfinn Skupien and “Arctic Alarm,” sculpted by Peter Hermann, Jack Gerard and Grant Rundblade
→ Third Place—Rockford Park District Award (tie): “Them’s the Breaks,” sculpted by Andy Skupien, Nathaniel Branch and Sable Matula and “Just Doing What Comes Natural,” sculpted by Gary Simon, Tom Guirl and Kit Scheidenhelm
→ People’s Choice Award: “Astrapaics,” sculpted by Sven, Bjorn and Thorfinn Skupien
→ Committee’s Choice Award—Patricia “Pat” Hayes Parks Award: “Them’s the Breaks,” sculpted by Andy Skupien, Nathaniel Branch and Sable Matula
The three-member state teams work 3-1/2 days on a 5-ton 6’ x 6’ x 10’ block of snow to create frozen works of art; the four-member high school teams work 2-1/2 days on a 4’ x 4‘ x 6’ block of snow. Sculptors cannot use power tools or props (other than the snow) to hold up the pieces, nor may colorants be added.
The Illinois Snow Sculpting competition is hosted by the Rockford Park District. Sponsors of this year’s event include ABC Catering, Chicago Rockford International Airport (RFD), Holiday Inn Express, Noonan’s at Aldeen, Rasmussen College, R.A. Seaton Contractor Services, S&S Cartage, Stockholm Inn, SwedishAmerican Health System, WIFR-TV Channel 23 and William Charles Construction.
For more information about this event, visit www.snowsculptingorg or call the Rockford Park District at (815) 987-8800.