- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
- Tales from the Trough: Rockford skates into all-star break on high note
- Literary Hook: A poem for February
- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
Winners named in Concerto Competition
From press release
The Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO) and Rock Valley College (RVC) recently announced the 2010-2011 Concerto Competition winners. The annual event offers the opportunity for music students ages 13-21 to compete for three cash awards and a featured performance with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra in May.
First prize ($250) was awarded to Hanna Bingham, violin, from DeKalb, Ill. Bingham performed the first movement of the Violin Concerto in E minor, op. 64 by Felix Mendelssohn. Her teacher is Blaise Magniere. She will perform as a featured soloist with the RSYO May 1.
Second prize ($150) was awarded to Joanna Nerius, violin, from Cherry Valley, Ill. She performed the Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso by Camille Saint-Saëns. Nerius’ teacher is Rachel Handlin.
Third prize ($100) was awarded to Owen Ruff, violin, from Sycamore, Ill. Owen performed the first movement of the Violin Concerto in E minor, op. 64 by Felix Mendelssohn. He is a student of Karen Weckerly.
For more about the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra or the RSO/RVC Concerto Competition, visit rockfordsymphony.com or call (815) 965-0049.