- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Elect Sheila Simons as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Winners named in Concerto Competition
From press release
The Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO) and Rock Valley College (RVC) recently announced the 2010-2011 Concerto Competition winners. The annual event offers the opportunity for music students ages 13-21 to compete for three cash awards and a featured performance with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra in May.
First prize ($250) was awarded to Hanna Bingham, violin, from DeKalb, Ill. Bingham performed the first movement of the Violin Concerto in E minor, op. 64 by Felix Mendelssohn. Her teacher is Blaise Magniere. She will perform as a featured soloist with the RSYO May 1.
Second prize ($150) was awarded to Joanna Nerius, violin, from Cherry Valley, Ill. She performed the Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso by Camille Saint-Saëns. Nerius’ teacher is Rachel Handlin.
Third prize ($100) was awarded to Owen Ruff, violin, from Sycamore, Ill. Owen performed the first movement of the Violin Concerto in E minor, op. 64 by Felix Mendelssohn. He is a student of Karen Weckerly.
For more about the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra or the RSO/RVC Concerto Competition, visit rockfordsymphony.com or call (815) 965-0049.