- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Student exhibition opens at Freeport Art Museum Feb. 12
From press release
FREEPORT, Ill.—Celebrate young artists by visiting Freeport Art Museum’s (FAM) Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition, opening Saturday, Feb. 12, and running through Saturday, March 26.
Hundreds of students have work included in the exhibition. Witness spectacular examples of 2-D and 3-D student artwork from Durand High School, Jo Daviess-Carroll Area Vocational Center, Pearl City Schools, Freeport High School and Freeport Middle School.
In this exhibition, students use their own creative voice to showcase some of their most exciting work from the past 2010-11 school year. Awards are given to first, second, and third places as well as honorable mention.
This year, students were encouraged to consider sports-related themes. The “Art of the Athlete” theme challenges young artists to think outside the box and create artwork that depicts sports or athletes from different cultures and in different media.
Ashley Mokros, FAM education coordinator, said: “This is an exhibit I look forward to each year. The student talent never ceases to amaze me.”
FAM is at 121 N. Harlem Ave., Freeport, and is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Friday, and noon-5 p.m., Saturday. Tours may be scheduled by calling (815) 235-9755. Admission to FAM is free, although donations are accepted.