- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Rockford Park District offers indoor golf clinics for all ages
By Doug Halberstadt
With the mercury inching ever closer to the 50-degree mark and sunny skies overhead this week, golfers all around this area are starting to get the itch.
The Rockford Park District is offering a couple of programs to help out those of us who can’t wait for the upcoming season.
Adult golfers ages 18 and older who want to improve their game in time for the spring season are invited to sign up for the indoor golf clinics scheduled through March 14. The 50-minute group lessons meet Monday afternoons, noon to 12:50 p.m. and 1 to 1:50 p.m., at the Indoor Sports Center in Loves Park, and are taught by PGA members and apprentices, who will focus on a specific type of shot or skill at each clinic. Fees are $17 per clinic ($20 non-resident).
In addition to the adult clinics, they also are offering free 25-minute indoor golf lessons for youth and accompanying adults. Think Golf Tune-Up School sessions are one of many free programs and activities offered by the Park District; sessions are geared for youth ages 10-17, and adults when registering with a child. The one-session lessons are held Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons through March 19 in Rockford College’s Seaver Gym, with instruction by PGA members and apprentices. Registration is limited to two sessions per person; participants must be residents of Boone or Winnebago counties, and need to bring a 7-iron and tennis shoes to class (7-irons will be provided if needed). Each class is limited to four golfers, and early registration is encouraged.
Finally, golfers looking to keep their swing tuned up or just take a break from winter can hit the indoor golf range, at Rockford Park District’s Indoor Sports Center, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park. The indoor range is open 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Tuesdays and Wednesdays through March 9. Range balls are $5 per bucket.
Anyone interested in these or any of the many other programs offered by the Rockford Park District can register online at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org, or by mail, fax (with credit card), or at either Park District Customer Service location (downtown Rockford, or Carlson Ice Arena). Registration will close as capacities are reached. A schedule of all clinics and topics, as well as a registration form, are included in the Winter/Spring 2011 Adult Guide available on the Park District website, at Park District offices and facilities, or by calling Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.