- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
Downtown radio studio launches first broadcasts
By Jim Hagerty
There’s now live radio in downtown Rockford. Maverick Media has brought three stations to the space formerly occupied by the Nest, 218 E. State St. Stations WNTA (1330-AM), WGFB (103.1-FM) and WXRX (104.9-FM) will be on a rotating schedule at the new station, officially named Studio 1.
Friday, Feb. 18, the Stone and Double T Radio Program kicked off The X’s maiden broadcast from 2 to 6 p.m. Jim Stone and Terry Turen welcomed several guests including Rockford IceHogs General Manager Mark Bernard and an acoustic performance by rockers The Last Vegas.
Outside speakers allow those on the street to hear everything that’s being broadcast inside.
“We’ll be down here about two to three times a week,” Stone said, as he controlled programming for a special Dale Earnhardt tribute show. “We plan to use the hell out of it. WNTA will be here all next week, 103.1 will also use it. We’ll be here for at least the next few years.”
Stone said the downtown studio was the brainchild of Maverick Media Manager J Chapman, who wanted to follow suit of stations around the country who have spots in the hearts of their cities. In Rockford, the heart is becoming the East State corridor, with a variety of bars, restaurants, MetroCentre and Davis Park events and a host of summer activities.
Maverick Media has headquarters at 2830 Sandy Hollow Road. In 2005, it purchased the stations formerly owned by Radio Works. Studio 1 is across from Carlyle Brewing Company.
From the Feb. 23-March 1, 2011, issue