- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Welty Environmental Center celebrates receipt of gift
The Welty Environmental Center in Beloit, Wis., recently celebrated the receipt of $10,000 from the James E. Dutton Foundation. The money will be used for marketing and promotional purposes in support of its educational programs. Jan Knutson, president of the Friends of the Welty Environmental Center, and Lena Verkuilen, center director, thanked Jennifer Griffiths of Genencor, a Danisco Division, for their contribution to the $10,000 challenge grant. Thanks were also given to other contributors, including Dorothy E. Bigelow Foundation; Beloit Foundation; Brennan, Steils S.C.; Bryden Motors; J.P. Cullen and Sons, Finley-Dencker Motors; First National Bank; Hendricks Family Foundation; Kerry Ingredients; Klobucar Construction; and Regal Beloit. The Welty Center is an educational nature center, specialized in bringing people of all ages into contact with nature in ways that highlight human interaction with and dependence upon natural systems and their services. The center serves a seven-county region in the stateline area.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Feb. 23-March 1, 2011, issue