- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Welty Environmental Center celebrates receipt of gift
The Welty Environmental Center in Beloit, Wis., recently celebrated the receipt of $10,000 from the James E. Dutton Foundation. The money will be used for marketing and promotional purposes in support of its educational programs. Jan Knutson, president of the Friends of the Welty Environmental Center, and Lena Verkuilen, center director, thanked Jennifer Griffiths of Genencor, a Danisco Division, for their contribution to the $10,000 challenge grant. Thanks were also given to other contributors, including Dorothy E. Bigelow Foundation; Beloit Foundation; Brennan, Steils S.C.; Bryden Motors; J.P. Cullen and Sons, Finley-Dencker Motors; First National Bank; Hendricks Family Foundation; Kerry Ingredients; Klobucar Construction; and Regal Beloit. The Welty Center is an educational nature center, specialized in bringing people of all ages into contact with nature in ways that highlight human interaction with and dependence upon natural systems and their services. The center serves a seven-county region in the stateline area.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Feb. 23-March 1, 2011, issue