- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Forest Hills Lanes offers softball league for those 50 and older
By Doug Halberstadt
Thanks to an article I wrote for last week’s edition of this paper, it looks as though I will be returning to the softball diamond when spring finally decides to arrive. After making my public request to find out about joining a softball league for guys my age (50 and older), I was almost immediately enlightened.
It wasn’t long after our paper hit the streets that I had two e-mails waiting for me. After making a phone call or two and getting firsthand information from some veteran players, it sounds as if the Tuesday night league at Forest Hills Lanes will work best for my schedule and skill level.
This league allows individuals to sign up and submit a self-evaluation form. Players are then sorted according to skill level and assigned to teams. Every effort is made to assure the teams are somewhat evenly matched.
There is an organizational meeting for the upcoming season at 1 p.m., Saturday, March 12, at Forest Hills Lanes. If you’re 50 or older and looking to have some fun this summer playing softball, I’d suggest attending this meeting, or at least contacting Greg Hammer at (815) 979-2899 or Mike Bridges at (815) 395-0916.
I’m glad I decided to write the article and then followed up with the phone calls. I am really looking forward to getting back out to the ballpark and playing again. I guess the next thing for me to do is to see if I can remember where I put my glove.
From the March 2-8, 2011, issue