- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Pre-registration up for Rockford Marathon
From press release
Advance registration numbers for the 2011 Rockford Marathon are rockin’! Compared to February 2010, there has been a nearly 40 percent increase in runner pre-registrations in February 2011.
Final runner numbers for the 2010 Rockford Marathon were nearly 1,200. As of mid-February 2011, close to 400 runners have already pre-registered. This compares to around 250 for the same time in 2010.
The 2011 Rockford Marathon will be held on Sunday, May 15. Start time and location are 7 a.m. at Main and Chestnut streets in downtown Rockford. Runners have the option of signing up for either full (26.2 mile) or half (13.1 mile) marathons. Relay teams comprised of up to four members are also welcome.
New! Pasta dinner announced
New at this year’s marathon will be a pasta dinner from 5 to 9 p.m., Saturday, May 14, at the Best Western Clock Tower Resort. Open to participants, their families and friends, cost is $12 per person if dinner tickets are purchased online at www.rockfordmarathon.com before May 14. Dinner tickets purchased at the door are $17.
Early discount registration deadlines
Early-bird discount registration for individuals through March 1 is $70 for the full marathon; $50 for the half-marathon; and $140 for relay teams. Between March 2-April 15, they increase to $75 (full marathon); $55 (half-marathon); and $145 (relay teams).
The Rockford Marathon course route is along the scenic Rock River. More than 5,000 spectators lined the streets in 2010 to cheer participants from across the Midwest. Again this year, there will be a community and sports expo in nearby Davis Park.
A portion of proceeds will again benefit the nonprofit Community Foundation of Northern Illinois.
In addition, runners can create a personal fund-raising page when they register to raise pledges from friends, family, and co-workers that will benefit the Community Foundation.
The Rockford Marathon is USATF (USA Track & Field)-certified as well as certified by the Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA).
To register or volunteer for the Rockford Marathon, or for more information, including the course route and sponsorship opportunities, please visit www.rockfordmarathon.com or call (888) 201-2316.
From the March 2-8, 2011, issue