- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Mallon signs to play football at Valparaiso
By Matt Nestor
Senior Matt Mallon has certainly left his mark on the East E-Rabs program.
The three-sport star has seen the revival of the school’s basketball program and helped get their football program going toward the same direction.
Now, Mallon is looking to take his hard work to the next level, signing with FCS and Pioneer Football League member Valparaiso University, where he will join Head Coach Dale Carlson’s Crusaders squad.
Mallon signed his national letter of intent and will be attending the school on an academic scholarship. Mallon plans on studying chemistry at Valparaiso.
“Valparaiso University seems to be a good fit for Matthew,” East Athletic Director Michael Armato said in a press release. “This is an exciting time for Matthew.”
Carlson and Defensive Coordinator Robert Lee will be looking toward Mallon to help rebuild their football program. He joins a Crusaders program that did not win a game last season and defense that gave up nearly 50 points a game.
From the March 9-15, 2011, issue