- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
- Impacts of low oil prices
- Monica Lewinsky takes aim at online bullying
- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
Mallon signs to play football at Valparaiso
By Matt Nestor
Senior Matt Mallon has certainly left his mark on the East E-Rabs program.
The three-sport star has seen the revival of the school’s basketball program and helped get their football program going toward the same direction.
Now, Mallon is looking to take his hard work to the next level, signing with FCS and Pioneer Football League member Valparaiso University, where he will join Head Coach Dale Carlson’s Crusaders squad.
Mallon signed his national letter of intent and will be attending the school on an academic scholarship. Mallon plans on studying chemistry at Valparaiso.
“Valparaiso University seems to be a good fit for Matthew,” East Athletic Director Michael Armato said in a press release. “This is an exciting time for Matthew.”
Carlson and Defensive Coordinator Robert Lee will be looking toward Mallon to help rebuild their football program. He joins a Crusaders program that did not win a game last season and defense that gave up nearly 50 points a game.
From the March 9-15, 2011, issue