- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
- Something is rotten in the state of US education
Mallon signs to play football at Valparaiso
By Matt Nestor
Senior Matt Mallon has certainly left his mark on the East E-Rabs program.
The three-sport star has seen the revival of the school’s basketball program and helped get their football program going toward the same direction.
Now, Mallon is looking to take his hard work to the next level, signing with FCS and Pioneer Football League member Valparaiso University, where he will join Head Coach Dale Carlson’s Crusaders squad.
Mallon signed his national letter of intent and will be attending the school on an academic scholarship. Mallon plans on studying chemistry at Valparaiso.
“Valparaiso University seems to be a good fit for Matthew,” East Athletic Director Michael Armato said in a press release. “This is an exciting time for Matthew.”
Carlson and Defensive Coordinator Robert Lee will be looking toward Mallon to help rebuild their football program. He joins a Crusaders program that did not win a game last season and defense that gave up nearly 50 points a game.
From the March 9-15, 2011, issue