- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Rockford Symphony participates in Orchestras Feeding America
• Food to be collected March 12-31 at performances and RSO administrative offices
From press release
Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO), in partnership with the Rock River Valley Pantry, is participating in the Third Annual “Orchestras Feeding America” national food drive.
“Orchestras Feeding America,” created by the League of American Orchestras and Feeding America, has seen more than 250 orchestras from all 50 states collect more than 300,000 pounds of food, making this the single-largest orchestra project serving communities nationwide.
The RSO is collaborating with the Rock River Valley Pantry to collect food at performances and at the RSO administrative offices from March 12-31. All concert-goers who attend the March 12 RSO Star Pops concert and the March 26 Baroque & Beyond Classics Concert are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items the evenings of the performances.
Rock River Valley Pantry Executive Director Kim Adams-Bakke said: “The Rock River Valley Pantry is very excited about the opportunity to partner with the Rockford Symphony Orchestra and its supporters to fight hunger in our community. Their food donations will stay local and help us meet the needs of the 2,600 households that utilize our services each month.”
The two pantry locations provide a total of nearly 375,000 balanced meals a year. Preferred item donations include canned vegetables and fruit, pasta, rice, cereal, tuna and skillet meals.
Contributions can be made at the Coronado Performing Arts Center Box Office, 314 N. Main St., or the RSO Administrative Offices at the Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St, during business hours. More information about Orchestras Feeding America is available at www.rockfordsymphony.com.
Under the artistic leadership of Music Director Steven Larsen, the RSO is the third largest symphony orchestra in the state of Illinois. The RSO is composed of 85 professional musicians who perform 17 concerts per year—including classics, pops, ballet and opera—for an estimated annual audience of 30,000. The RSO was named the 2007 Orchestra of the Year for Illinois.
From the March 9-15, 2011, issue