- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Discovery Center offers Bubble Festival March 19
From press release
Geoffrey “Merlin” Akins fancies himself both a magician and a bubbleologist. Akins will demonstrate his skills as both during six live performances at Discovery Center’s 2011 Bubble Festival Saturday, March 19.
Following each live performance, audiences will then be invited to test their own bubble skills with bubble art and activities in the Bubble-Palooza Playground.
Akins creates huge, wobbly, electric dancing bubbles, bubbles inside bubbles, hand-blown bubbles, bubble caterpillars, bubble ice-cream cones, bubble snowmen, smoke-filled volcano bubbles, a fully-functioning bubble merry-go-round and even the impossi-bubble square bubble.
Akins has appeared on CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood. He has also appeared on the National Geographic Channel and WGN and at the Bristol Renaissance Faire.
Akins has been entertaining and educating children for more than 25 years. He has worked in both public and private schools.
“If you’re looking for something unique…look no further! I do a whole show with ordinary soap bubbles. It’s fun, inspiring, educational and will captivate both children and adults alike,” explains Akins.
Shows are at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Advance admission is $4 for the public and $3 for museum members through March 19. Admission at the door is $5 for the public and $4 for museum members.
Museum admission for the general public is $7 adults, $7 children, and free for ages 1 and younger.
To reserve tickets, call (815) 963-6769.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. For more information, call (815) 963-6769.
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue