- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Discovery Center offers Bubble Festival March 19
From press release
Geoffrey “Merlin” Akins fancies himself both a magician and a bubbleologist. Akins will demonstrate his skills as both during six live performances at Discovery Center’s 2011 Bubble Festival Saturday, March 19.
Following each live performance, audiences will then be invited to test their own bubble skills with bubble art and activities in the Bubble-Palooza Playground.
Akins creates huge, wobbly, electric dancing bubbles, bubbles inside bubbles, hand-blown bubbles, bubble caterpillars, bubble ice-cream cones, bubble snowmen, smoke-filled volcano bubbles, a fully-functioning bubble merry-go-round and even the impossi-bubble square bubble.
Akins has appeared on CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood. He has also appeared on the National Geographic Channel and WGN and at the Bristol Renaissance Faire.
Akins has been entertaining and educating children for more than 25 years. He has worked in both public and private schools.
“If you’re looking for something unique…look no further! I do a whole show with ordinary soap bubbles. It’s fun, inspiring, educational and will captivate both children and adults alike,” explains Akins.
Shows are at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Advance admission is $4 for the public and $3 for museum members through March 19. Admission at the door is $5 for the public and $4 for museum members.
Museum admission for the general public is $7 adults, $7 children, and free for ages 1 and younger.
To reserve tickets, call (815) 963-6769.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. For more information, call (815) 963-6769.
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue