- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Free pine mulch still available at Christmas tree recycling sites
From press release
LOVES PARK, Ill.—Residents are encouraged to stop by Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful’s (KNIB) 13 Christmas Tree Recycling sites to collect the remaining pine mulch.
“While the mulch piles are probably buried in snow right now, people should try to get out as soon as the weather improves,” said Lori Gummow, executive director of KNIB. “The mulch is available only on a first-come, first-serve basis, and the sites will be cleaned up in the next couple of weeks. “Final totals are still being determined, but we estimate that over 30,000 holiday trees were dropped off and chipped at our sites this year.”
Residents need to bring a shovel and a container when collecting the mulch.
The Christmas Tree Recycling drop-off and pine mulch locations are as follows: Don Schmid Youth Sports Center at Riverdahl Park, Rockford; Blackhawk Park, 100–15th Ave., Rockford; Levings Lake, east entrance off Johnston Avenue, Rockford; Andrews Park, 800 N. Central Ave., Rockford; Gambino Park, Pepper Drive off North Alpine Road, Rockford; Alpine Park, 900 S. Alpine Road, Rockford; Martin Park, Park Ridge Road off Riverside Boulevard, Loves Park; Machesney Park Village Hall, 300 Machesney Road; Baumann Park, behind the maintenance building on South Walnut, Cherry Valley; Williams Tree Farm, 4661 Yale Bridge Road, north Winnebago County; Rockton Boat Ramp Parking Lot, off Hononegah Road; Valley View Farms, 6440 Belvidere Road, Roscoe; and Westlake Village, nature area south of the Smith Road intersection, Winnebago.
For more information, visit knib.org or call KNIB at (815) 637-1343.
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue