- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Help wanted: Players needed for 45+ Senior Softball League
By Doug Halberstadt
HELP WANTED. That’s a sign that isn’t as common today as in times gone by. Following an organizational meeting for the 49+ Senior Softball League, that’s the message that dominated the conversation. The league will ideally be composed of four teams, and we are still looking for a few more guys to fill some of the roster spots on each of those teams. We begin play Tuesday, April 19, and continue Tuesday evenings for eight weeks.
The unique thing about this league is individuals are placed on teams according to skill level based on a self-evaluation score. The really nice thing is you don’t have to have an entire team lined up to register or come out to play. No team entries are accepted. This is done in an effort to assure a certain level of parity among the teams. The emphasis in this league is on having fun, instead of reaching the top of the standings. As a matter of fact, no standings are kept.
This is a great opportunity for anyone 49 years or older looking to get back out and play some softball without having to worry about whether they can still compete. All skill levels are welcome to sign up.
All the games will be played at Forest Hills on Diamond No. 3. The season consists of 15 games, and the starting times for the games will be at 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
Balanced teams will be formed by April 12. The coaches will then call each player with the information concerning their team and game times. The registration deadline is March 31. To receive an application form via mail or if you have any further questions, contact league commissioner Pete Kink at (815) 298-5540. I hope to see some of my “old” buddies out at the diamond.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue