- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Help wanted: Players needed for 45+ Senior Softball League
By Doug Halberstadt
HELP WANTED. That’s a sign that isn’t as common today as in times gone by. Following an organizational meeting for the 49+ Senior Softball League, that’s the message that dominated the conversation. The league will ideally be composed of four teams, and we are still looking for a few more guys to fill some of the roster spots on each of those teams. We begin play Tuesday, April 19, and continue Tuesday evenings for eight weeks.
The unique thing about this league is individuals are placed on teams according to skill level based on a self-evaluation score. The really nice thing is you don’t have to have an entire team lined up to register or come out to play. No team entries are accepted. This is done in an effort to assure a certain level of parity among the teams. The emphasis in this league is on having fun, instead of reaching the top of the standings. As a matter of fact, no standings are kept.
This is a great opportunity for anyone 49 years or older looking to get back out and play some softball without having to worry about whether they can still compete. All skill levels are welcome to sign up.
All the games will be played at Forest Hills on Diamond No. 3. The season consists of 15 games, and the starting times for the games will be at 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
Balanced teams will be formed by April 12. The coaches will then call each player with the information concerning their team and game times. The registration deadline is March 31. To receive an application form via mail or if you have any further questions, contact league commissioner Pete Kink at (815) 298-5540. I hope to see some of my “old” buddies out at the diamond.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue