- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Local rock band to participate in SXCHI showcase in Austin, Texas
From press release
Oregon, Ill.-based reggae-rock band Matter of Fact will be among 40 Chicago-area bands playing the SXCHI showcase during the South by Southwest music festival in Austin, Texas.
The three-day Chicago-focused concert series will be Wednesday-Friday, March 16-18, at the Trophy Room in downtown Austin. Matter of Fact will play March 16 at 6 p.m. The band will also perform at 8 p.m., Friday, March 18, at the Dizzy Rooster in downtown Austin as part of the Red Gorilla Music Fest.
Matter of Fact is Skyler Starnes, lead vocals and lead guitar; Brandon Hafer, bass guitar and backup vocals; and Jake Dickson, drums. The band has performed in and around the Oregon area and as far away as Dubuque, Iowa, and Appleton, Wis. Rockford performances include repeat shows at Kryptonite, Big Al’s and Mary’s Place, as well as shows at CJ’s Lounge and Hope & Anchor. Matter of Fact has played with popular Rockford musician Miles Nielsen and recently performed at an IceHogs game. This will be their second time performing as part of SXCHI.
The SXCHI showcase is put on by Chicago-based music television show JBTV and is sponsored by Threadless, a community-based T-shirt company. SXCHI is not a registered South by Southwest showcase. For more information about Matter of Fact, visit www.facebook.com/matteroffact4.
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue