- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
State reducing funding for conservation
I am sending you this and asking for your support in providing adequate funding to Soil and Water Conservation Districts. We either work directly or indirectly with many of you, and future reductions in state funding may hinder further collaboration with you or your agencies, have a negative effect on the soil and water resources here in Winnebago County.
To give you a brief overview, district funding from the state has reduced from 80K per district in 2008, to only 51K this current fiscal year.
State funding for the next fiscal year (2012) is up in the air, but could be reduced by another 6 to 10K. (it is hard to say because the last couple of years the Director of the Department of Ag has been given the authority to transfer funds from other areas to increase operations, for example, last year’s state-approved budget only called for 35K per district, but he was able to transfer other funds to get it to the 51K level.
Feel free to use the attached letter or information included in it. It is also helpful to add a personal touch or note on how the district has impacted you or your agency. Another attachment has all of the legislator mailing information for our local legislators, and below is the address for the Director of the Department of Agriculture:
Illinois Department of Agriculture
PO Box 19281, State Fairgrounds
Springfield, IL 62794-9281
I sincerely thank you for any support you can give us, and let me know if you are able to get any letters sent. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Winnebago County SWCD
4833 Owen Center Road
Rockford, Ill. 61101
815-965-2392, ext. 3
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue