- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Sweeny cheers Wisconsin runaways
In Chuck Sweeny’s column of Feb. 20, in the Rockford Register Star, he cheers the Wisconsin Democrat legislators who, acting like spoiled brats, ran from their legislative duties. Chuck thinks it laudable that these elected officials run, like the cowards they are, from their obligations to the people of Wisconsin.
According to the National Institute on Money in State Politics, the No. 1 spender in Wisconsin state politics is the National Education Association (NEA). So that’s why the Democrats in the state legislature are AWOL; this is what the unions get for their money.
Instead of living up to their sworn duty to defend and protect the constitution of their state and the nation, they say, in effect, our loyalty to the union is of greater importance to us than our oath to the citizens of Wisconsin, and Sweeny applauds this puerile behavior.
Governor Walker is fulfilling his obligation to the state, while keeping a campaign promise to get the state’s finances back to a manageable level. To offset this fiscally responsible behavior, the Obama team is busing thousands of protesters, who have no voice in Wisconsin’s business, into Madison, thereby proving the Democratic Party has sold its soul to the public sector unions.
I have seen shabby performances from Democrats before, but this one is right up there with the worst.
From the March 16-22, 2011, issue