- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
Van Matre HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital observes National Brain Injury Awareness Month
As a leader in brain injury rehabilitation, Van Matre HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital will join the Brain Injury Association of America and its partners this month in recognizing Brain Injury Awareness Month.
Throughout March, the hospital will highlight the importance of preventing head injuries and the healing power of brain injury rehabilitation.
The Brain Injury Association of America cites the most common causes of brain injury as vehicle crashes, falls, sports injuries and violence. To prevent injury, Van Matre encourages our community to think ahead and make the following smart choices for brain injury prevention:
* Wear a seat belt every time you drive or ride in a motor vehicle.
* Buckle your child into a child safety seat, booster seat, or seat belt in the car;
* Never drive or engage in physical activity while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
* Wear a helmet and make sure your children wear helmets during appropriate activities;
* Use safeguards to avoid falls;
* Check first the depth of the water when swimming or diving;
* Make sure the surface on your child’s playground is made of shock-absorbing material, such as hardwood, mulch and sand; and
* Keep firearms stored unloaded in a locked cabinet or safe. Store bullets in a separate secured location.
For more information about brain injury rehabilitation or prevention, visit www.healthsouth.com or the Brain Injury Association of America online at www.biausa.org.
Van Matre HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital is a 50-bed inpatient rehabilitation hospital that offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. Serving patients throughout northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, the hospital is at 950 S. Mulford Road in Rockford and on the web at www.rockfordhealthsystem.org. Van Matre is a joint venture between Rockford Health System and HealthSouth Corporation.
HealthSouth Corporation is the nation’s largest provider of inpatient rehabilitative health care services. Operating in 26 states across the country and in Puerto Rico, HealthSouth serves patients through its network of inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, long-term acute care hospitals, outpatient rehabilitation satellite clinics and home health agencies.
Health South’s hospitals provide a higher level of rehabilitative care to patients who are recovering from conditions such as stroke and other neurological disorders, orthopedic, cardiac and pulmonary conditions, brain and spinal cord injury, and amputations. HealthSouth can be found on the web at www.healthsouth.com.
For more information, contact JoAnne Bonavia, director of Marketing Operations, at (815) 381-8552.
From the March 23-29 issue