- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
April 2 gospel concert raises funds for basketball program
Second Congregational United Church of Christ hosts concert beginning at 7 p.m.
A gospel concert will be held Friday, April 2, at Second Congregational United Church of Christ, 318 N. Church St., as a fund-raiser to support the 2-Con Summer Basketball League. Concert begins at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m.
2-Con is a basketball program organized by coach S. Lamont Johnson for young men, ages 12-16, whose parents lack the resources to cover the expense or travel required for other basketball camps.
The gospel concert fund-raiser will feature the New World Travelers; New Zion Baptist Church, Allen Chapel AME Church and Rock Valley College gospel choirs; special guest soloists Geneva Stewart and Justin Djuane Francis; and Master of Ceremonies, Lori Flemming, from WNTA 1330 AM radio.
Free-will donations will be accepted at the door. For more details, call Johnson at (815) 298-3587 or Mary Jensen at (815) 963-8431.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011, issue