- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
April 2 gospel concert raises funds for basketball program
Second Congregational United Church of Christ hosts concert beginning at 7 p.m.
A gospel concert will be held Friday, April 2, at Second Congregational United Church of Christ, 318 N. Church St., as a fund-raiser to support the 2-Con Summer Basketball League. Concert begins at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m.
2-Con is a basketball program organized by coach S. Lamont Johnson for young men, ages 12-16, whose parents lack the resources to cover the expense or travel required for other basketball camps.
The gospel concert fund-raiser will feature the New World Travelers; New Zion Baptist Church, Allen Chapel AME Church and Rock Valley College gospel choirs; special guest soloists Geneva Stewart and Justin Djuane Francis; and Master of Ceremonies, Lori Flemming, from WNTA 1330 AM radio.
Free-will donations will be accepted at the door. For more details, call Johnson at (815) 298-3587 or Mary Jensen at (815) 963-8431.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011, issue