- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Motorsports: AMA Arenacross Series at MetroCentre April 1-3
By Doug Halberstadt
Motorcycles inside the MetroCentre can only mean one thing: Arenacross is returning to our area. The 2011 AMA Arenacross Series hosts the penultimate round of its championship here in Rockford with two nights of exciting racing action this Friday and Saturday night, April 1-2.
As many as 60 dirt bike racers from around the country will be trying to chase down series points leader Tyler Bowers. He has collected 10 wins this season while building a 38-point lead over second-place rider Jeff Gibson.
Chad Johnson currently sits in third place, 44 points behind Bowers. Friday and Saturday night, all three riders and a bevy of other challengers will go bar-to-bar in their quest for the coveted title of series champion.
The AMA Arenacross Series is the world’s most intimate form of dirt-bike racing. The national tour travels weekly throughout the country, converting indoor arenas into man-made dirt battlegrounds.
An astounding 150 truckloads of dirt are brought into the arena—that’s 1,500 yards of soil that ends up being sculpted into a technical, awe-inspiring layout filled with whoops, rhythm sections and the air-inducing catapult jump.
Following the two nights of high-intensity professional racing, the future stars of the sport take over the MetroCentre floor. The always exciting Amateur Day closes out the weekend Sunday, April 3, with as many as 100 local riders taking their chance to compete on a world-class track.
Tickets for the Rockford Arenacross are on sale at the MetroCentre Box Office, MetroCentre.com, and may be charged by phone at (815) 968-5222. Adult seats start at $20 while kids’ seats are $5.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011 issue