- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Motorsports: AMA Arenacross Series at MetroCentre April 1-3
By Doug Halberstadt
Motorcycles inside the MetroCentre can only mean one thing: Arenacross is returning to our area. The 2011 AMA Arenacross Series hosts the penultimate round of its championship here in Rockford with two nights of exciting racing action this Friday and Saturday night, April 1-2.
As many as 60 dirt bike racers from around the country will be trying to chase down series points leader Tyler Bowers. He has collected 10 wins this season while building a 38-point lead over second-place rider Jeff Gibson.
Chad Johnson currently sits in third place, 44 points behind Bowers. Friday and Saturday night, all three riders and a bevy of other challengers will go bar-to-bar in their quest for the coveted title of series champion.
The AMA Arenacross Series is the world’s most intimate form of dirt-bike racing. The national tour travels weekly throughout the country, converting indoor arenas into man-made dirt battlegrounds.
An astounding 150 truckloads of dirt are brought into the arena—that’s 1,500 yards of soil that ends up being sculpted into a technical, awe-inspiring layout filled with whoops, rhythm sections and the air-inducing catapult jump.
Following the two nights of high-intensity professional racing, the future stars of the sport take over the MetroCentre floor. The always exciting Amateur Day closes out the weekend Sunday, April 3, with as many as 100 local riders taking their chance to compete on a world-class track.
Tickets for the Rockford Arenacross are on sale at the MetroCentre Box Office, MetroCentre.com, and may be charged by phone at (815) 968-5222. Adult seats start at $20 while kids’ seats are $5.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011 issue