- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Nanoscale science featured at Discovery Center April 2
– Special demonstrations and activities celebrate nanoscale science and engineering
Discovery Center Museum will host NanoDay with special demonstrations and activities from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, April 2. The event is part of a nationwide festival of educational programs about nanoscale science and engineering.
Visitors to the Discovery Center can investigate real-life applications of nanotechnology, including clothes that stay clean, sunglasses that turn clear and socks that never smell bad.
Discovery Center staff will offer live science demonstrations related to nanoscience. In addition, Dr. Andrew Greenberg of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center will have several hands-on activity stations for visitors. All activities are included with museum admission.
Many scientists and engineers believe advances in nanotechnology have the potential to bolster the U.S. economy with innovations providing clean, secure, affordable energy, techniques to clean up hazardous chemicals in the environment, and medical devices and drugs to detect and treat diseases more effectively and with fewer side effects.
The Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission is $7 for adults and children ages 2 to 17, and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger.
Call the museum at (815) 963-6769 or visit discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011