- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
This Old House host offers green building workshop April 7
LOVES PARK, Ill.—Steve Thomas of This Old House and Renovation Nation will conduct a green building workshop from 7:30 to 9 a.m., Thursday, April 7, at Rock Valley College (RVC), 3301 N. Mulford Road, in the Student Center Atrium.
Thomas will discuss how he built a green, energy-efficient barn near his equally green cottage on an island off the mid-coast of Maine, where he spends summers.
Lori Gummow, executive director of Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB), said: “As the keynote speaker for our fourth annual Earth Day Awards Luncheon, we are pleased to offer this unique opportunity with Mr. Thomas. This program will include a slide show presentation, as well as ample time for a question-and-answer session.”
Following the workshop, a tour of RVC’s gold-certified LEED physical education building will be offered. Cost for the workshop and tour is $25. Reservations are due March 31. A continental breakfast will be provided.
“Mr. Thomas’ building expertise appeals to everyone from the professional contractor to the handy homeowner,” Gummow said. “As the spring building and remodeling season is just about to begin, we are looking forward to learning more about green building practices.”
To register for the workshop and tour, e-mail Lisa Lotz, marketing and volunteer coordinator for KNIB, at email@example.com, or call her at (815) 637-1343.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011 issue