- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
- Neighborhood feel key for Rural on Tap
- TRRT March 25-31 | Online Edition
- State Roundup: Plaintiffs join Rauner on fair share case
The Pines perform at Severson Dells April 3
Charlotte’s Web for the Performing Arts and “Some Days Feathers” are co-sponsoring a show for music and nature lovers this weekend. The Pines will be appearing from 2:30 to 4 p.m., Sunday, April 3, at Severson Dells Nature Center, 8786 Montague Road, Rockford.
Benson Ramsey and David Huckfelt both grew up in the middle of Iowa’s folk-music scene, but they didn’t meet until they’d both moved to Tucson, Ariz., as a way to find their own artistic path as The Pines. After moving back to the Midwest, the pair worked with some of the region’s most notable folk and country musicians (including Benson’s father, guitarist Bo Ramsey) and has released three albums of finely-wrought folk music strongly evocative of their Midwestern milieu (Jake Mohan).
In a world swimming with singer/songwriters, it’s difficult to rise above the masses and create a truly unique sound that captures ears and stimulates the mind. The Pines are a band that has taken on this feat, honing their musical craft to near perfection with a sound that wavers on the edge of traditional acoustic/roots music, but embraces the nuances of today’s indie-rock and blues music.
Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the door. Advance tickets are available at: Rockford Area Arts Council, 713 E. State, (815) 963-6765; both Postal Shoppe locations: Edgebrook Center, (815) 397-7301 and 2205 S. Perryville, (815) 484-0940 and JustGoods, 201 Seventh St., (815) 965-8903. For this show, also call Severson Dells at (815) 335-2915. New Outlet: Nikki’s Café, 604 Pleasant St., Beloit, Wis., (608) 207-3101; or by mail: send a check and SASE to 306 Theodore St., Loves Park, IL 61111. Indicate artist or performance date on check. Credit card payment accepted only at www.charlotteswebofrockford.org via PayPal. There is a $1 ticket processing fee included. Print your receipt. Info: Call (815) 964-2238 or visit www.CharlottesWebofRockford.org.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011, issue