- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
The Pines perform at Severson Dells April 3
Charlotte’s Web for the Performing Arts and “Some Days Feathers” are co-sponsoring a show for music and nature lovers this weekend. The Pines will be appearing from 2:30 to 4 p.m., Sunday, April 3, at Severson Dells Nature Center, 8786 Montague Road, Rockford.
Benson Ramsey and David Huckfelt both grew up in the middle of Iowa’s folk-music scene, but they didn’t meet until they’d both moved to Tucson, Ariz., as a way to find their own artistic path as The Pines. After moving back to the Midwest, the pair worked with some of the region’s most notable folk and country musicians (including Benson’s father, guitarist Bo Ramsey) and has released three albums of finely-wrought folk music strongly evocative of their Midwestern milieu (Jake Mohan).
In a world swimming with singer/songwriters, it’s difficult to rise above the masses and create a truly unique sound that captures ears and stimulates the mind. The Pines are a band that has taken on this feat, honing their musical craft to near perfection with a sound that wavers on the edge of traditional acoustic/roots music, but embraces the nuances of today’s indie-rock and blues music.
Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the door. Advance tickets are available at: Rockford Area Arts Council, 713 E. State, (815) 963-6765; both Postal Shoppe locations: Edgebrook Center, (815) 397-7301 and 2205 S. Perryville, (815) 484-0940 and JustGoods, 201 Seventh St., (815) 965-8903. For this show, also call Severson Dells at (815) 335-2915. New Outlet: Nikki’s Café, 604 Pleasant St., Beloit, Wis., (608) 207-3101; or by mail: send a check and SASE to 306 Theodore St., Loves Park, IL 61111. Indicate artist or performance date on check. Credit card payment accepted only at www.charlotteswebofrockford.org via PayPal. There is a $1 ticket processing fee included. Print your receipt. Info: Call (815) 964-2238 or visit www.CharlottesWebofRockford.org.
From the March 30-April 5, 2011, issue