- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Motorsports: Champs crowned during Arenacross stop in Rockford
By Todd Reicher
On the weekend of April 1-3, the AMA Arenacross Series made a stop in Rockford at the MetroCentre. The weekend series was the 13th of 14 stops across the United States, which started Jan. 8 in Tulsa, Okla., and ends April 10 in Des Moines, Iowa.
After a season-long winning streak of hopes of claiming the title, which went to his teammate, Josh Demuth.
In the 25-lap main event, Bowers started a few paces off the leader, Nathan Skaggs. But by lap 9, Bowers had overtaken Skaggs for the lead spot, which he would retain for the remaining 16 laps, securing his 11th win of the season and the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series Championship.
After 18 of 19 season races, Bowers holds a 36-point lead over his closest competitor, Jeff Gibson.
In the AMA Arenacross Lites Class Series, Patrick Massie from Washington Court, Ohio, took first place for the second time this season, one day after securing the Lites Class Championship. Massie holds an impressive 80-point lead over second-place Austin Primavera in the Lites Class points standings.
Results and statistics provided by Arenacross Media at Arenacross.com.
From the April 6-12, 2011 issue