- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Motorsports: Champs crowned during Arenacross stop in Rockford
By Todd Reicher
On the weekend of April 1-3, the AMA Arenacross Series made a stop in Rockford at the MetroCentre. The weekend series was the 13th of 14 stops across the United States, which started Jan. 8 in Tulsa, Okla., and ends April 10 in Des Moines, Iowa.
After a season-long winning streak of hopes of claiming the title, which went to his teammate, Josh Demuth.
In the 25-lap main event, Bowers started a few paces off the leader, Nathan Skaggs. But by lap 9, Bowers had overtaken Skaggs for the lead spot, which he would retain for the remaining 16 laps, securing his 11th win of the season and the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series Championship.
After 18 of 19 season races, Bowers holds a 36-point lead over his closest competitor, Jeff Gibson.
In the AMA Arenacross Lites Class Series, Patrick Massie from Washington Court, Ohio, took first place for the second time this season, one day after securing the Lites Class Championship. Massie holds an impressive 80-point lead over second-place Austin Primavera in the Lites Class points standings.
Results and statistics provided by Arenacross Media at Arenacross.com.
From the April 6-12, 2011 issue