- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Hannah Warren wins YWCA Mentorship Award
Womanspace announced their nominee, Hannah Warren, was presented with the Mentorship Award at the YWCA Leader Luncheon March 7. Warren, a native of Rockford, traveled to India on a photography project with the support of Rotary International.
In a city in Madhya Pradesh Province, she found the women weavers she was documenting were very poor and received very little compensation for their hard work. After learning to speak Hindi and becoming friends with these women, Warren founded Jhoole Weavers, a fair trade cooperative, a nonprofit business designed to benefit (rather than exploit) people living in poverty.
From the April 6-12, 2011 issue