- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Hannah Warren wins YWCA Mentorship Award
Womanspace announced their nominee, Hannah Warren, was presented with the Mentorship Award at the YWCA Leader Luncheon March 7. Warren, a native of Rockford, traveled to India on a photography project with the support of Rotary International.
In a city in Madhya Pradesh Province, she found the women weavers she was documenting were very poor and received very little compensation for their hard work. After learning to speak Hindi and becoming friends with these women, Warren founded Jhoole Weavers, a fair trade cooperative, a nonprofit business designed to benefit (rather than exploit) people living in poverty.
From the April 6-12, 2011 issue